News » Cover Story

Frequently asked questions about voter ID



What types of photo ID are acceptable?
According to the Tennessee Department of State, the following forms of photo ID can be used to vote:

• Tennessee driver's license with a photo

• United States passport

• Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Departmen of Safety and Homeland Security

• Photo ID issued by the federal or any state government

• United States military photo ID

• State-issued handgun carry permit

What if my driver's license is from another state and/or expired?
That's OK. Even if it's expired or from another state, as long as your driver's license has a photo on it, you can use it for voting.

If I go to a public, state university, does that mean my student photo ID is a state-issued photo ID that I can use for voting?
No. College student IDs, whether from a private or public university, cannot be used for voting.

What if I'm an employee of a state university? Can I use my university photo ID for voting?
Yes, actually. If you are an employee of a state university, your photo ID is acceptable for voting.

Is anyone exempt from the photo ID requirement for voting?
Yes. The following groups will be allowed to vote without a photo ID:

• Voters who vote absentee by mail.

• Voters who are residents of a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility.

• Voters who are hospitalized

• Voters with a religious objection to being photographed

• Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee

What if I show up at the polls on Nov. 6 without a photo ID?
You will be given the opportunity to cast a provisional ballot. You will then have two business days after Election Day to return to the election commission office and show a valid photo ID.

Where can I get a photo ID for voting purposes?
You can obtain a photo ID for voting purposes free of charge at 48 of the Driver Service Centers across the state. The only center where these IDs are not available is the Driver License Reinstatement Center on Murfreesboro Road in Davidson County. Davidson County residents can obtain a photo ID for voting at the following locations (A full statewide list can be found at

• 624 Hart Lane, Nashville 37216 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

• 6604 Centennial Blvd., Nashville 37209 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

• William R. Snodgrass Building, Third Floor, Nashville 37243 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

• 700 Second Avenue South, Nashville 37210 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Add a comment