by Adam Gold
* Congratulations to Jack White! J-Dub’s solo debut Blunderbuss, which dropped stateside last Tuesday, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart this week. With first week sales of 138,000 copies, this is the third man’s first time as a bona-fide, first-place chart topper and — between White Stripes, Raconteurs and Dead Weather releases — his eighth time to crack the Top 10.
Assuming you don’t consider adult-contemporary-for-young-adults, veritable-musical-snooze-bar singers Gotye and Jason “all about the wordplay” Mraz rock artists (and I definitely don’t), White is the lone rocker to make the Top 10 this week. His company includes Adele, Lionel Richie, One Direction, Lee Brice, Kip Moore, The Wanted (who, and I’m not kidding, sound like fucking Haddaway) and Nicki Minaj.
In loosely related Jack White and local Billboard news: Alabama Shakes — who open White’s two-night stand at The Ryman later this month — are currently rocking the No. 17 position on the Albums Chart after debuting at No. 11 with their debut LP Boys & Girls four weeks ago, while White Stripes-footstep-followers The Black Keys are sittin’ pretty in the No. 13 position with El Camino. Factor in Music Row fodder like Luke Bryan, Eric Church and Rascal Flatts and you’ve got yourself a pretty Nashville-centric Billboard Top 20.
* Congratulations to Jared Followill! The Kings of Leon bassist — the band’s youngest member and by far its funniest tweeter — is engaged. According to Us Weekly, Followill (25) popped the question to girlfriend Martha Patterson (21) at his Nashville home on April 11. She said yeah. With his bandmate older brothers and cousin already hitched, the marriage will make Followill the last King of Leon to take the plunge into holy matrimony.
* And lastly (but certainly not least-ly), congratulations to Turbo Fruits! The band — recent signees to Kings of Leon’s Serpents and Snakes label — announced yesterday that their long-awaited third LP Butter will come out on Sept. 11. Spin digitally premiered the Butter jam “Sweet Thang” yesterday, calling it “a lonesome heartbreak-rocker that could nicely slot between the festival-size anthems of the Walkmen and the garage-bound rambles of the Strange Boys on a pretty great sad-bastard mixtape.” Well said. Stream and download "Sweet Thang" here and see the Butter track listing below.
Butter Track listing:
1. Where the Stars Don't Shine
2. Gamble Tamble
3. Don't Like To Fight
4. Harley Dollar Bill$
5. Sweet Thang
6. 10 Years
7. Catch & Release
8. Colt 45
9. Gotta Get Along
10. She Said Hello
11. Aint the Only One Havin' Fun
And now for a topical song selection ... :