That's the idea behind the ABC show Recipe Rehab. Each week chefs are invited to tackle a decadent family recipe in an attempt to make a healthier version. Regulars on the show include some notable celebri-chefs like Spike Mendelsohn, Aida Mollenkamp, Candice Kumai and Govind Armstrong. Now the group has compiled some of their best recipes in a book, also titled Recipe Rehab, which was released last week.
The 80 recipes have been simplified and scaled for the home kitchen, and are divided into sections to get you through an entire week of meal planning:
• Healthy Starts like Stuffed French Toast with “No-tella”, Southwestern Breakfast Frittata and Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
• Apps and Snacks such as Bacon-Wrapped Figs, Spinach Dip and Stuffed Mushrooms
• Carb Makeovers such as Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, Vegetarian Spaghetti & Meatballs and Mexican Lasagna
• “No-Junk” Foods like Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, Nachos Supreme and Big Island Burgers
• “Un-Fried” Favorites like Chicken Drumsticks and Biscuits, Fish & Chips and General Tso’s Chicken
• Indulgent Desserts like Peach Cobbler, Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting, and Chocolate Cupcakes
If you'd like to see a sample of the book and maybe even try out a few of the recipes, the publishers have been kind enough to provide an excerpt that you can view in this handy-dandy reader.
I'm particularly interested in those nachos! If anyone tries a recipe, let us know what you think here in the comments.