After a year of renovating the former Radio Cafe space at 1313 Woodland St., Fontenot and business partner Neil Clark opened Mad Donna's in the spring of 2008. The result was an interesting hybrid: a family-friendly restaurant up front, a sleek bar in the back, and another bar and a stage upstairs. Eventually, they opened a casual patio as well.
Mad Donna's serves lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. The upstairs becomes a nightclub in the evenings, called MD Loft, with unique weekly events like Drag Queen Bingo.
I've always had good experiences at Mad Donna's, and I'm sorry they're having financial troubles. (I wonder if they started out on a difficult footing with the cost of the renovating the building, which turned out to require more work than expected.) In a release today, Fontenot says she and her team are looking to refinance the mortgage on the building and would welcome a new investor.
“It’s business as usual at Mad Donna’s,” Fontenot adds. “Management and staff will remain a part of the Mad Donna’s family and we’ll continue to maintain an excellent relationship with our vendors. “
In the meantime, she's introduced a bunch of new specials and menu items. Check out the list after the jump:
Mad Donna’s NEW daily specials include:
· Taco Tuesday: $2 Tacos, $2 Dos Perros drafts, $2 chips & salsa, $5 Madritas
· Wicked Wing Wednesday: 49 cent wings, $1.50 PBRs, $4 Southern Comfort
· Saturday/Sunday brunch with 2-for-1 mimosas
· Sunday Funday: $3 house wine, $3 drafts, $3 wells after 3 p.m.
Mad Donna’s NEW menu offerings include:
· Mad Macs: White Truffle, Chicken Pesto and Habanero mac & cheese
· Wicked Wings: Rayfo’s “HOT” Chicken, Dos Perros Chipotle, Garlic Parmesan, BBQ and Teriyaki
· Shiner Bock Black Bean Chili
· Stuffed Meatloaf
The MD Loft entertainment includes:
· Non-smoking bar
· Tuesday: Glee 7 p.m. and Drag B-I-N-G-O 8:30 p.m.
· Wednesday: Trivia 7-9 p.m. and Soul Train DJ 9 p.m.
· Sunday: Karaoke 9 p.m.